Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 33:14‐34:33, Romans 16:8‐27, Psalms 26:1‐12, Proverbs 20:19
Romans 16:17-18 I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.
- Context: Paul interrupts his finial greetings at the end of the book of Romans to say these words.
- This is an appeal to Christians (brothers in the context of Romans)
- Watch out for those who:
- cause divisions
- create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught
- do not serve the Lord Christ, but their own appetites
- by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive
- Avoid them
Apply: I need to watch out for dangerous dividers in the ministry I lead today and see if anyone needs to be confronted so that we can avoid the consequences of their actions.
Do you see anyone causing divisions in your ministry? How can you apply the commands to watch out and avoid?